Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 47 (2008) pp. 2241-2243 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (178K)| |Buy This Article|
Origin of Field Emission from a Nano-Diamond/Carbon Nanowall Electron Emitter
1IMRAM, Tohoku University, Sendai 980-8577, Japan
2CREST, JST, Kawaguchi, Saitama 332-0012, Japan
3Kochi Industrial Promotion Center, Kochi University of Technology, Tosayamada, Kochi 782-8502, Japan
(Received August 29, 2007; revised December 17, 2007; accepted December 24, 2007; published online April 18, 2008)
The origin of field emission from a specific nano-diamond/carbon nanowall (ND/CNW) electron emitter, which has high and stable field emission characteristics, was examined by field emission spectromicroscopy and scanning electron microscopy. It was found that graphite sticks are present on the field emission sites of the films. Energy distribution curves of electrons field-emitted from the specified sites have the same features as those field-emitted from a metallic substance (graphite). Thus, it was concluded that graphite sticks present on the ND/CNW film are responsible for the field emission.
- S. G. Wang, Q. Zhang, S. F. Yoon, J. Ahn, Q. Zhou, Q. Wang, D. J. Yang, J. Q. Li, and S. Z. Shanyong: Surf. Coat. Technol. 167 (2003) 143.
- Y.-C. Lee, D. Pradhan, S.-J. Lin, C.-T. Chia, H.-F. Chang, and I.-N. Lin: Diamond Relat. Mater. 14 (2005) 2055.
- Z. Shpilman, S. Michaelson, R. Kalish, and A. Hoffman: Diamond Relat. Mater. 15 (2006) 846.
- J. Wang and T. Ito: Diamond Relat. Mater. 16 (2007) 364.
- J. Wang and T. Ito: Diamond Relat. Mater. 16 (2007) 589.
- C. S. Cojocaru, D. Kim, D. Pribat, J.-E. Bourée, E. Minoux, L. Gangloff, and P. Legagneux:
J. Non-Cryst. Solids 352 (2006) 1352[CrossRef].
- F. A. M. Koeck, A. N. Obraztsov, and R. J. Nemanich: Diamond Relat. Mater. 15 (2006) 875.
- K. Nishimura and H. Sasaoka: Japanese Patent pending, p2006-179457A (2006); World Intellectual Property Organization, International Publication Number WO2006/057459.
- K. Nishimura and H. Sasaoka: Ext. Abstr. NDF Diamond Symp., 2004, p. 242 [in Japanese].
- S. Kono, T. Goto, K. Sato, T. Abukawa, M. Kitabatake, A. Watanabe, and M. Deguchi:
Surf. Sci. 493 (2001) 610[CrossRef].
- N. Ooi, A. Rairkar, and J. B. Adams: Carbon 44 (2006) 231, and references therein.