Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 47 (2008) pp. 2300-2305 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (311K)| |Buy This Article|
Surface Modification of Gel-Free Microchannel Surface Electrophoresis Device for DNA Identification
Department of Chemical Engineering, Myongji University, Yongin 449-728, Republic of Korea
1Thin Film Nano and Microelectronics Research Laboratory, Department of Chemical Engineering, Texas A&M University, TX 77843-3122, U.S.A.
(Received April 20, 2007; accepted January 5, 2008; published online April 18, 2008)
A gel-free microchannel electrophoresis device for DNA separation and identification was studied. DNA fragments ranging from 3.5 to 21.2 kbp were effectively separated and identified. The channel's bottom surface was composed of silicon wafer or glass, and the channel wall was composed of SU-8 photoresist. The channel surface was modified with various solutions or plasmas. The separated DNA on the detection electrode was confirmed by electron spectroscopy for chemical analysis. DNA mobility on the glass substrate was higher than that on the Si substrate. In addition, the increase of the ionic strength of the solution on the device decreased the mobility of DNA. In summary, this new device is applicable to large DNA samples.
KEYWORDS:microchannel device, DNA electrophoresis, SU-8, ESCA
- A. T. Woolley and R. A. Mathies: Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 91 (1994) 11348.
- S. N. Brahmasandra, V. M. Ugaz, D. T. Burke, C. S. Mastrangelo, and M. A. Burns: Electrophoresis 22 (2001) 300.
- N. Pernodet, V. Samuilov, K. Shin, J. Sokolov, M. H. Rafailovich, D. Gersappe, and B. Chu:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 85 (2000) 5651[APS].
- Y.-S. Seo, V. A. Samuilov, J. Sokolov, M. Rafailovich, B. Tinland, J. Kim, and B. Chu: Electrophoresis 23 (2002) 2618.
- Y.-S. Seo, H. Luo, V. A. Samuilov, M. H. Rafailovich, J. Sokolov, D. Gersappe, and B. Chu:
Nano Lett. 4 (2004) 659[CrossRef].
- Y. Kuo and H. H. Lee: Electrochem. Solid-State Lett. 4 (2001) H23.
- H. H. Lee and Y. Kuo: Proc. IEEE Sensor 02, Orlando (IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 2002) p. 454.
- H. H. Lee and Y. Kuo: Electrochem. Solid-State Lett. 9 (2006) J21.
- E. A. S. Doherty, K. D. Berglund, B. A. Buchholz, I. V. Kourkine, T. M. Przybycien, R. D. Tilton, and A. E. Barron: Electrophoresis 23 (2002) 2766.
- J. Horvath and V. Dolnik: Electrophoresis 22 (2001) 644.
- H. H. Lee and Y. Kuo: Abstr. 1525, Electrochem. Soc. Meet., Philadelphia, 2002.