Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 47 (2008) pp. 2684-2686 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (293K)| |Buy This Article|
Electron Spin Resonance and Photoluminescence Study of Charge Trap Centers in Silicon Nitride Films and Fabrication of Proposed Oxide–Nitride–Oxide Sidewall 2-bit/Cell Nonvolatile Memories
Department of Advanced Materials Science, Faculty of Engineering, Kagawa University, Takamatsu 761-0396, Japan
1Corporate Research and Development Group, Sharp Corporation, Tenri, Nara 632-8567, Japan
(Received October 2, 2007; accepted November 25, 2007; published online April 25, 2008)
We have proposed a novel oxide–nitride–oxide (ONO)-sidewall 2-bit/cell nonvolatile memory and fabricated 70-nm-node nonvolatile memory devices. For low-pressure chemical-vapor-deposition (LPCVD)-SiN films, with increasing SiH4/NH3 mixture gas ratio, we have found from ESR and PL evaluation that the paramagnetic defect density increases and some PL emission energy levels become deeper. We consider that the energy-level shift is due to the effects of trap potential overlapping, where the trap centers are generated at the excess silicon atoms in the SiN films. In this study, a SiH4/NH3 mixture gas ratio of less than 1:100 was used to suppress the potential overlapping. As a result, we have also shown that the proposed memory device has high performance and excellent scalability.
KEYWORDS:nonvolatile memory, MONOS, silicon nitride, defect density, ESR, trap level, photoluminescence, 2-bit/cell, scalability, embedded
- Y. Kamigaki and S. Minami: IEICE Trans. Electron. E84-C (2001) 713.
- S. Minami and Y. Kamigaki: IEICE Trans. Electron. J77-C-II (1994) 564 [in Japanese].
- H. Aozasa, I. Fujiwara, and Y. Kamigaki:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 46 (2007) 5762[JSAP].
- B. Eitan, P. Pavan, I. Bloom, E. Aloni, A. Frommer, and D. Finzi: Ext. Abstr. Solid State Devices and Materials, 1999, p. 522.
- S. Habermehl and R. T. Apodaca:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 84 (2004) 215[AIP Scitation].
- W. R. Harrell and J. Frey:
Thin Solid Films 352 (1999) 195[CrossRef].
- R. Karcher, L. Ley, and R. L. Johnson:
Phys. Rev. B 30 (1984) 1896[APS].
- S. Minami and Y. Kamigaki:
IEEE Trans. Electron Devices 38 (1991) 2519[CrossRef].