Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 47 (2008) pp. 2833-2837 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (718K)| |Buy This Article|
Ultrashort Pulse Generators Using Resonant Tunneling Diodes and Their Integration with Antennas on Ceramic Substrates
Graduate School of Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo-cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
1Graduate School of Science and Engineering, University of Toyama, 3190 Gofuku, Toyama 930-8555, Japan
2Toyota National College of Technology, 2-1 Eisei-cho, Toyota, Aichi 471-8525, Japan
3Nippon Mining & Metals Co., Ltd., 3-17-35 Niizo-Minami, Toda, Saitama 335-8502, Japan
(Received October 1, 2007; accepted December 17, 2007; published online April 25, 2008)
Ultrashort pulse generations were demonstrated on two types of resonant tunneling diode (RTD) pulse generators. The circuits were fabricated with InGaAs/AlAs RTDs on an InP substrate. One of the circuits was a simple resistor-RTD series circuit, and the other was a circuit consisting of an RTD pair. The full widths at half maximum (FWHMs) of the pulses were about 10 ps. Good symmetric opposite polarity peaks were obtained for the resistor-RTD pair circuit, while the peaks for the resistor-RTD series circuit were asymmetric. Moreover, the simple resistor-RTD-type pulse generator was integrated with antennas on ceramic substrates. A sending and receiving experiment showed that a 70 GHz wave packet was transmitted between antennas.
- E. R. Brown, J. R. Söderström, C. D. Parker, L. J. Mahoney, K. M. Molvar, and T. C. McGill:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 58 (1991) 2291[AIP Scitation].
- N. Orihashi, S. Suzuki, and M. Asada:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 87 (2005) 233501[AIP Scitation].
- E. Özbay, D. M. Bloom, and S. K. Diamond:
Electron. Lett. 26 (1990) 1046[AIP Scitation].
- Y. Kawano, Y. Nakasha, T. Suzuki, T. Ohki, T. Takahashi, K. Makiyama, T. Hirose, and K. Joshin: Proc. 36th European Microwave Conf., 2006, p. 1821.
- Y. Nakasha, Y. Kawano, T. Suzuki, T. Ohki, T. Takahashi, K. Makiyama, T. Hirose, and N. Hara: Ext. Abstr. Int. Conf. Solid State Devices and Materials, 2007, G-5-1.
- Y. Nakasha, Y. Kawano, T. Takahashi, T. Hirose, and N. Hara: 2007 IEICE Soc. Conf., 2007, C-10-5 [in Japanese].
- Y. Ookawa, S. Kishimoto, K. Maezawa, and T. Mizutani: IEICE Trans. Electron. E89-C (2006) 999.
- K. J. Chen, K. Maezawa, and M. Yamamoto:
IEEE Electron Device Lett. 17 (1996) 127[CrossRef].
- I. Soga, S. Hayashi, Y. Ohno, S. Kishimoto, K. Maezawa, and T. Mizutani:
Electron. Lett. 41 (2005) 1275[AIP Scitation].
- G. Kumar and K. P. Ray: Broadband Microstrip Antennas (Artech House, London, 2002).