Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 47 (2008) pp. 3576-3580 |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (194K)| |Buy This Article|
Evaluation of Thermoelectric Properties in Bi-Microwires by the Harman Method
School of Materials Science, JAIST, Nomi, Ishikawa 923-1292, Japan
1Saitama Industrial Technology Center, Kawaguchi, Saitama 333-0844, Japan
2Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Saitama University, Saitama 338-8570, Japan
(Received December 26, 2007; accepted January 15, 2008; published online May 16, 2008)
We have improved the Harman method to evaluate all thermoelectric properties related to the figure of merit, ZT, not only in bulk materials but also in mesoscopic ones. By this method, the ZT of single microwires can also be determined. The minimum sample size is currently ∼0.25 mm in length and ∼10 µm in diameter. The fabrication of our equipment based on the Harman method is described in detail. The enhancement of ZT can be achieved in the Bi-microwire array because of the homogeneous arrangement of the crystal orientation in each microwire. The results obtained in the Bi-microwire arrays are consistent with ZT behavior in the single microwires extracted from the arrays.
KEYWORDS:Harman method, thermoelectric property, figure of merit, microwire, microwire array
- L. D. Hicks and M. S. Dresselhaus:
Phys. Rev. B 47 (1993) 12727[APS].
- L. D. Hicks, T. C. Harman, X. Sun, and M. S. Dresselhaus:
Phys. Rev. B 53 (1996) R10493[APS].
- R. Venkatasubramanian, E. Silvola, T. Colpitt, and B. O'Quinn:
Nature 413 (2001) 597[CrossRef].
- T. C. Harman, P. J. Taylor, M. P. Walsh, and B. E. LaForge: Science 297 (2002) 2229[Science].
- A. F. Ioffe: Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR 20 (1956) 76.
- T. C. Harman:
J. Appl. Phys. 29 (1958) 1373[AIP Scitation].
- T. C. Harman, J. H. Cahn, and M. J. Logan:
J. Appl. Phys. 30 (1959) 1351[AIP Scitation].
- H. Iwasaki and H. Hori: Proc. 24th Int. Conf. Thermoelectrics, 2005, p. 498.
- J. Heremans and C. M. Thrush:
Phys. Rev. B 59 (1999) 12579[APS].
- J. Heremans, C. M. Thrush, Y. M. Lin, S. Cronin, Z. Zhang, M. S. Dresselhaus, and F. Mansfield:
Phys. Rev. B 61 (2000) 2921[APS].
- Z. Zhang, X. Sun, M. S. Dresselhaus, J. Y. Ying, and J. Heremans:
Phys. Rev. B 61 (2000) 4850[APS].
- J. P. Heremans, C. M. Thrush, D. T. Morelli, and M. C. Wu:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 88 (2002) 216801[APS].
- Y. Hasegawa, Y. Ishikawa, H. Shirai, H. Morita, A. Kurikouchi, K. Wada, T. Komine, and H. Nakamura:
Rev. Sci. Instrum. 76 (2005) 113902[AIP Scitation].
- H. Iwasaki, M. Koyano, and H. Hori:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 41 (2002) 6606[JSAP].
- W. A. Yim and A. Amith:
Solid-State Electron. 15 (1972) 1141[CrossRef].