Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 47 (2008) pp. 4003-4006 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (206K)| |Buy This Article|
Design of an Underwater Tonpilz Transducer with 1–3 Piezocomposite Materials
School of Mechanical Engineering, Kyungpook National University, 1370 Sankyuk-dong, Buk-gu, Daegu 702-701, Korea
(Received November 20, 2007; accepted January 15, 2008; published online May 23, 2008)
An underwater Tonpilz transducer is designed with 1–3 piezocomposite materials to overcome the limitations of conventional piezoceramic transducers. With the finite element method (FEM), the variation of the resonance frequency, bandwidth and radiated sound pressure was analyzed in relation to the structural variables of the transducer. Through statistical multiple regression analysis of the finite element analysis (FEA) results, functional forms of the transducer performance are derived in terms of the design variables. Through the constrained minimization with the derived functions, the optimal structure of the transducer is determined to provide the highest sound pressure level at a given resonant frequency over a pre-determined frequency range. The validity of the optimization is confirmed by comparing the performance of the designed piezocomposite transducer with that of a conventional piezoceramic transducer.
- Q. S. Yao and L. Bjørnø: IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control 44 (1997) 1060.
- P. Dufourcq, J. Adda, M. Letiche, and E. Sernit: Power Transducers for Sonics and Ultrasonics (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1990) Chap. 7.
- K. Kang and Y. Roh:
J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 114 (2003) 1454[AIP Scitation].
- R. J. Freund and W. J. Wilson: Regression Analysis: Statistical Modeling of a Response Variable (Academic Press, San Diego, CA, 1998).
- A. D. Belegudu and T. R. Chandrupatla: Optimization Concepts and Applications in Engineering (Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 1999).
- W. A. Smith and B. A. Auld: IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control 38 (1991) 40.
- D. Boucher: Power Sonics and Ultrasonic Transducers Design (Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1987) Chap. 5.
- O. B. Wilson: Introduction to Theory and Design of Sonar Transducers (Peninsula Publishing, Los Altos, CA, 1985) Chap. 4.