Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 47 (2008) pp. 4076-4080 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (396K)| |Buy This Article|
Nonlinear Sound Field by Interdigital Transducers in Water
The University of Electro-Communications, 1-5-1 Chofugaoka, Chofu, Tokyo 182-8585, Japan
1Sunagawa High School, 935-4 Izumi-cho, Tachikawa, Tokyo 190-8583, Japan
(Received November 26, 2007; accepted January 10, 2008; published online May 23, 2008)
Nonlinear ultrasound beams in water radiated by a surface acoustic wave (SAW) device are examined experimentally and theoretically. SAWs on an 128° X-cut Y-propagation LiNbO3 substrate are excited by 50 pairs of interdigital transducers (IDTs). The device with a 2 ×10 mm2 rectangular aperture and a center frequency of 20 MHz radiate two ultrasound beams in the direction of the Rayleigh angle determined by the propagation speed of the SAW on the device and of the longitudinal wave in water. The Rayleigh angle becomes 22° in the present experimental situation. The fundamental and second harmonic sound pressures are respectively measured along and across the beam using a miniature hydrophone whose active element 0.4 mm in diameter and whose frequency response is calibrated up to 40 MHz. The Khokhlov–Zabolotskaya–Kuznetsov (KZK) equation is utilized to theoretically predict sound pressure amplitudes. The theoretical predictions of both the fundamental and second harmonic pressures agree well with the measured sound pressures.
- S. Shiokawa, Y. Matsui, and T. Moriizumi:
Proc. 9th Symp. Ultrasonic Electronics, Sendai 1988, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 28 (1989) Suppl. 28-1, p. 126[JSAP].
- A. Rathgeber, M. Wassermeier, and A. Wixforth: J. ASTM Int. 2 (2005) JAI12829.
- K. Sritharan, C. J. Strobl, M. F. Schneider, A. Wixforth, and Z. Guttenberg:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 88 (2006) 054102[AIP Scitation].
- W. Tseng, J. Lin, W. Sung, S. Chen, and G. Lee: J. Micromech. Microeng. 16 (2006) 539.
- N. Nguyen and R. M. White: IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control 47 (2000) 1463.
- Yu. G. Statnikov: Sov. Phys. Acoust. 13 (1967) 122.
- K. Matsuda, T. Kamakura, and M. Maezawa:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 45 (2006) 4448[JSAP].
- B. K. Novikov, O. V. Rudenko, and V. I. Timoshenko: Nonlinear Underwater Acoustics (AIP, New York, 1987) Sect. 2.5.
- M. F. Hamilton and D. T. Blackstock: Nonlinear Acoustics (Academic Press, San Diego, CA, 1988) Chap. 8.
- T. Kamakura:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 43 (2004) 2808[JSAP].
- J. Saneyoshi, K. Kikuchi, and O. Nomoto: Cho-onpa Gijutsu Binran (Nikkan Kogyo, Tokyo, 1980) Chap. 4 [in Japanese].
- T. Kamakura: Fundamentals of Nonlinear Acoustics (Aichi Shuppan, Tokyo, 1996) Chap. 5 [in Japanese].
- M. Maezawa and T. Kamakura: IEICE Tech. Rep. US2006-119 (2007) p. 47 [in Japanese].