Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 47 (2008) pp. 5822-5827 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (624K)| |Buy This Article|
High-Speed Recording up to 15,000 rpm Using Thin Optical Disks
Science and Technical Research Laboratories, NHK (Japan Broadcasting Corporation), 1-10-11 Kinuta, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo 157-8510, Japan
1Ricoh Co., Ltd., 16-1 Shinei-cho, Tsuzuki-ku, Yokohama 224-0035, Japan
2Nagaoka University of Technology, 1603-1 Kamitomioka-cho, Nagaoka, Niigata 940-2188, Japan
(Received December 1, 2007; accepted January 31, 2008; published online July 18, 2008)
We propose a high-speed optical disk system using thin flexible optical disks (HS-FOD) recording up to 15,000 rpm. The thin optical disk system is composed of three technical elements: media employing a thin and flexible substrate 0.1 mm thick, a mechanical stabilizer, and a high-speed tracking servo employing a feed-forward control with zero phase error tracking (ZPET-FF control). The HS-FOD system has an optical head with numerical aperture (NA) of 0.85 and is compatible with the optical system of a Blu-ray disc or a broadcast-use optical disk. We have successfully performed disk rotation stably and have performed precisely a focus servo and a tracking servo at 15,000 rpm. We also achieved writing and reading data at 15,000 rpm and recording 252 Mbps of random pattern data and could get small values of jitter below the tolerance. These results are enough to record professional high-definition television (HDTV) video signals in formats such as HD-D5 for broadcast-use.
- SMPTE Standard, 342M-2000, SMPTE (2000).
- H. Tokumaru, M. Kishida, and D. Koide: SMPTE Motion Imaging J. 115 (2006) 24.
- H. Minemura, K. Watanabe, K. Adachi, and R. Tamura:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 45 (2006) 1213[JSAP].
- S. Furumiya, K. Takahashi, H. Kitaura, N. Miyagawa, and N. Yamada:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 45 (2006) 1223[JSAP].
- N. Onagi, Y. Aman, S. Murata, and K. Uchida: IEEE Trans. Magn. 41 (2005) 1004.
- N. Ota, T. Imazu, and H. Awano: Tech. Dig. ISOM, 2006, We-H-01.
- H. Awano, H. Ido, H. Kishi, A. Inaba, H. Yamanaka, S. Osawa, M. Tani, M. Yoshihiro, T. Iida, Y. Watanabe, and N. Ota: Tech. Dig. ISOM, 2006, We-H-02.
- Y. Aman, N. Onagi, S. Murata, Y. Sugimoto, D. Koide, and H. Tokumaru:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 46 (2007) 3750[JSAP].
- D. Koide, Y. Takano, H. Tokumaru, N. Onagi, and Y. Aman: Tech. Dig. ISOM, 2006, Th-PP-07.
- K. Ohishi, T. Miyazaki, K. Inomata, H. Yanagisawa, D. Koide, and H. Tokumaru: IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 53 (2006) 838.
- D. Koide, H. Tokumaru, K. Ohishi, T. Hayano, I. Shibutani, and T. Miyazaki:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 46 (2007) 3765[JSAP].
- M. Tomizuka: J. Dyn. Syst. Meas. Control 109 (1987) 65.