Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 47 (2008) pp. 7729-7731 |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (487K)| |Buy This Article|
Quality Factor of Forsterite for Ultrahigh Frequency Dielectrics Depending on Synthesis Process
Materials Science and Engineering, Nagoya Institute of Technology, Nagoya 466-8555, Japan
(Received May 22, 2008; accepted July 16, 2008; published online September 19, 2008)
Forsterite is a candidate ultrahigh frequency dielectric for wireless communications. The quality factor Q of forsterite (Mg2SiO4) for microwave dielectrics is affected by calcination conditions. The shape of calcined powder particles remains the same as that of fine grains of raw silica materials. This is one of the key points for high Q, because of the realization of a high green density. From the observation of the section of calcined grains by definition (EPMA), it was clarified that Si ions remain in the core part of the grains. The remaining silica affected Q by forming a glassy phase and enstatite (MgSiO3).
- H. Ohsato, T. Tsunooka, Y. Ohishi, Y. Miyauchi, M. Ando, and K. Kakimoto: J. Korean Ceram. Soc. 40 (2003) 350.
- M. Ando, T. Tsunooka, Y. Higashida, H. Sugiura, and H. Ohsato: Abstr. Microwave Materials and Their Applications, York, U.K., 2002, p. 141.
- M. Ando, K. Himura, T. Tsunooka, I. Kagomiya, and H. Ohsato: Abstr. 24th Conf. Ferroelectric Material Applications, Kyoto, Japan, 2007, p. 129.
- M. Ando, K. Himura, T. Tsunooka, I. Kagomiya, and H. Ohsato:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 46 (2007) 7112[JSAP].
- B. W. Hakki and P. D. Coleman: IRE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech. 8 (1960) 402.
- Y. Kobayashi and M. Kato: IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech. 33 (1985) 586.
- P. Wu, G. Erikson, A. D. Pelton, and M. Blander: ISIJ Int. 33 (1993) 26.