Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 48 (2009) 03A035 (6 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (177K)| |Buy This Article|
Micro-Holographic Storage and Threshold Holographic Recording Materials
General Electric Global Research, 1 Research Circle, Niskayuna, NY 12309, U.S.A.
(Received September 9, 2008; accepted October 29, 2008; published online March 23, 2009)
This paper presents a new injection-molded holographic recording media with a threshold optical response that is specifically designed for single-bit holographic data storage. The concept of a threshold response in a holographic recording material is discussed and the benefits of such a material relative to standard linear materials are evaluated. Micro-holograms are recorded in the new material and the performance is compared to similar measurements in a linear material. The results show that the material has a threshold recording energy of approximately 1 µJ/pulse in a low-numerical-aperture (NA) test system, corresponding to 50 nJ/pulse in a high-NA system. In addition, the threshold material shows a 1000-fold improvement in continuous-wave (CW) read-out stability and a 25% reduction in hologram size as compared to the linear material.
- B. H. Schechtman: ISOM/ODS, 2008, TD05-29.
- D. Sarid and B. H. Schechtman: Opt. Photonics News 18 (2007) No. 5, 32.
- H. J. Eichler, P. Kuemmel, S. Orlic, and A. Wappelt: IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron. 4 (1998) 840.
- R. R. McLeod, A. J. Daiber, M. E. McDonald, T. L. Robertson, T. Slagle, S. L. Sochava, and L. Hesselink: Appl. Opt. 44 (2005) 3197.
- K. Saito, T. Horigome, H. Miyamoto, H. Yamatsu, N. Tanabe, K. Hayashi, G. Fujita, S. Kobayashi, T. Kudo, and H. Uchiyamba: ODS, 2007, MB1.
- M. Dubois, X. Shi, C. Erben, K. L. Longley, E. P. Boden, and B. L. Lawrence: Opt. Lett. 30 (2005) 1947.
- P. Wu, X. Shi, B. L. Lawrence, Z. Ren, J. Smolenski, C. Erben, E. P. Boden, and K. L. Longley: ODS, 2006, WC2.
- S. Orlic, S. Ulm, and H. J. Eichler:
J. Opt. A 3 (2001) 72[IoP STACKS].
- X. Shi, B. L. Lawrence, M. Dubois, E. P. Boden, C. Erben, K. L. Longley, and M. C. Nielsen:
Proc. SPIE 5939 (2005) 59390A[AIP Scitation].
- M. Akiba, H. Takizawa, and Y. Inagaki: ISOM, 2008, Mo-B-01.
- R. R. McLeod, M. W. Grabowski, M. R. Ayres, and A. C. Sullivan:
Proc. SPIE 6620 (2007) 66200C[AIP Scitation].
- B. A. Kowalski, R. R. McLeod, and T. F. Scott: ISOM/ODS, 2008, TD05-38.
- M. Dubois, X. Shi, C. Erben, B. L. Lawrence, E. P. Boden, and K. L. Longley:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 45 (2006) 1239[JSAP].
- K. Saito and S. Kobayashi:
Proc. SPIE 6282 (2006) 628213[AIP Scitation].
- H. Kogelnik: Bell Syst. Tech. J. 48 (1969) 2909.
- L. Hesselink, S. S. Orlov, and M. C. Bashaw: Proc. IEEE 92 (2004) 1231.