Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 48 (2009) 06FD02 (3 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (230K)| |Buy This Article|
Unipolar Resistance Switching in Polymeric Resistance Random Access Memories
Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Pohang 790-784, Republic of Korea
(Received November 25, 2008; accepted January 29, 2009; published online June 22, 2009)
We investigate the characteristic features of unipolar resistance switching in polymeric devices based on poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene):poly(styrene sulfonate) (PEDOT:PSS) and demonstrate the unipolar switching cycles controlled by a series resistor. The device with a set compliance current (CC) of 10 mA and a bottom electrode thickness (tBE) of 300 nm has a typical unipolar resistance switching function, while the device with tBE = 10 nm or set CC = 100 mA exhibits threshold switching. The experimental results are discussed on the basis of filament formation and rupture in consideration of the Joule heating effect. In addition, we confirm the applicability of PEDOT:PSS resistance random access memory (RRAM) as nonvolatile memory by measuring the stable unipolar switching cycle operations of RRAM based on PEDOT:PSS.
- R. Waser and M. Aono:
Nat. Mater. 6 (2007) 833[CrossRef].
- H. Gomes, A. R. V. Benvenho, D. M. de Leeuw, M. Cölle, P. Stallinga, F. Verbakel, and D. M. Taylor: Org. Electron. 9 (2008) 119.
- S. Baek, D. Lee, J. Kim, S. Hong, O. Kim, and M. Ree: Adv. Funct. Mater. 17 (2007) 2637.
- S. Chae, J. Lee, S. Kim, S. Lee, S. Chang, C. Liu, B. Kahng, H. Shin, D. Kim, C. Jung, S. Seo, M. Lee, and T. Noh:
Adv. Mater. 20 (2008) 1154[CrossRef].
- D. Kim, S. Seo, S. Ahn, D. Suh, M. Lee, B. Park, I. Yoo, I. Baek, H. Kim, E. Yim, J. Lee, S. Park, H. Kim, U. Chung, J. Moon, and B. Ryu:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 88 (2006) 202102[AIP Scitation].
- S. Chang, S. Chae, S. Lee, C. Liu, T. Noh, J. Lee, B. Kahng, J. Jang, M. Kim, D. Kim, and C. Jung:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 92 (2008) 183507[AIP Scitation].
- M. Kim, S. Choi, M. Ree, and O. Kim:
IEEE Electron Device Lett. 28 (2007) 967[CrossRef].
- B. Choi, D. Jeong, S. Kim, C. Rohde, S. Choi, J. H. Oh, H. Kim, C. Hwang, K. Szot, R. Waser, B. Reichenberg, and S. Tiedke:
J. Appl. Phys. 98 (2005) 033715[AIP Scitation].
- Y. Hosoi, Y. Tamai, T. Ohnishi, K. Ishihara, T. Shibuya, Y. Inoue, S. Yamazaki, T. Nakano, S. Ohnishi, N. Awaya, I. Inoue, H. Shima, H. Akinaga, H. Takagi, H. Akoh, and Y. Tokura: IEDM Tech. Dig., 2006, p. 793.
- Z. Wang, P. Griffin, J. McVittie, S. Wong, P. McIntyre, and Y. Nishi:
IEEE Electron Device Lett. 28 (2007) 14[CrossRef].