Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 48 (2009) 06FE07 (5 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (448K)| |Buy This Article|
Fabrication of a Spin-Polarized Electron Source with a Single Magnetite Whisker
1Advanced Technology Research Lab., Nippon Steel Corporation, Futtsu, Chiba 293-8511, Japan
2Research Institute of Electronics, Shizuoka University, Hamamatsu 432-8011, Japan
3Graduate School of Engineering, Mie University, Tsu 514-8507, Japan
(Received November 26, 2008; accepted January 17, 2009; published online June 22, 2009)
<110>-oriented single crystal magnetite whiskers 30 to 200 nm in diameter were synthesized on a stainless steel plate by means of the combustion flame thermal oxidation process. Microscopic analyses have revealed that the whiskers have some defects such as stacking faults and dislocations and also that manganese is the dominant impurity. A spin-polarized electron source with a single magnetite whisker was fabricated by using a micro-sampling instrument in a focused ion beam (FIB) system. The spin polarization of this sample was measured by using a Mott electron polarimeter and was found to be 15% at room temperature.
- Z. Zhang and S. Satpathy:
Phys. Rev. B 44 (1991) 13319[APS].
- M. Okada, Y. Neo, K. Kubomura, and H. Mimura:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 45 (2006) 5624[JSAP].
- A. Sugimoto, Y. Kembo, K. Watanabe, and T. Yaguchi: Hitachi Rev. 55 (2006) 56.
- M. Sugiyama, M. Okada, Y. Takada, and M. Suehiro: Nihon Kinzoku Gakkaishi 65 (2001) 397 [in Japanese].
- S. Nagai, Y. Fujiwara, and K. Hata: Surf. Interface Anal. 40 (2008) 1673.
- J. Kessler: Polarized Electrons (Springer, Berlin, 1985).
- T. Gay and F. B. Dunning:
Rev. Sci. Instrum. 63 (1992) 1635[AIP Scitation].
- K. Iori, K. Miyamoto, H. Narita, K. Sakamoto, A. Kimura, S. Qiao, K. Shimada, H. Namatame, and M. Taniguchi:
Rev. Sci. Instrum. 77 (2006) 13101[AIP Scitation].
- P. Kofstad: High-Temperature Oxidation of Metals (Wiley, New York, 1966).
- O. Knacke, O. Kubaschewski, and K. Hesselmann: Thermochemical Properties of Inorganic Substances I and II (Springer, Berlin, 1991) 2nd ed.
- A. F. Smith: Corros. Sci. 21 (1981) 517.
- N. F. Mott: Philos. Mag. B 42 (1980) 327.
- M. Iizumi, T. F. Koetzle, G. Shirane, S. Chikazumi, M. Matsui, and S. Todo: Acta Crystallogr., Sect. B 38 (1982) 2121.
- J. M. Zuo, J. C. H. Spence, and W. Petuskey:
Phys. Rev. B 42 (1990) 8451[APS].
- J. P. Wright, J. P. Attfield, and P. G. Radaelli:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 87 (2001) 266401[APS].
- S. Nagai, K. Hata, M. Okada, and H. Mimura: submitted to Appl. Surf. Sci.