Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 48 (2009) 072502 (7 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (228K)| |Buy This Article|
Study of the Line Optical Tweezers Characteristics Using a Novel Method and Establishing a Model for Cell Sorting
Institute and Department of Electrophysics, National Chiao-Tung University, 1001 Ta Hsueh Road, Hsinchu, Taiwan 30010, R.O.C.
(Received December 30, 2008; accepted April 13, 2009; published online July 21, 2009)
Optical tweezers have become a powerful tool in cellular and molecule biology. Line optical tweezers enhanced its function in cell sorting. This study presents the line trap model, based on the ray-optics model, and demonstrates its accuracy for the line optical tweezers. The line optical tweezers system is established to produce the optical intensity distribution of a line pattern and to trap the micro-sized beads. The main parameter, optical intensity distribution, is used to calculate the trapping force distribution in the model. The two forces, trapping force and water dragging force, and the equation of motion is used to simulate the trajectory of micro-sized beads as they pass through the line pattern in flowing water in the microchannel. The trajectory is analyzed to determine the effective separation distance between the micro-sized beads or cells. The method will be applied in biological and medical detection.
- A. Ashkin, J. M. Dziedzic, J. E. Bjorkholm, and S. Chu: Opt. Lett. 11 (1986) 288.
- A. Ashkin and J. M. Dziedzic: Science 235 (1987) 1517
- S. C. Grover, A. G. Skirtach, R. C. Gauthier, and C. P. Grover: J. Biomed. Opt. 6 (2001) 14.
- Y. Wakamoto, I. Inoue, H. Moriguchi, and K. Yasuda: Fresen. J. Anal. Chem. 371 (2001) 276.
- M. Ozkan, M. Wang, C. Ozkan, R. Flynn, A. Birkbeck, and S. Esener: Biomed. Microdevices 5 (2003) 61.
- M. Ozkan, T. Pisanic, J. Scheel, C. Barlow, S. Esener, and S. N. Bhatia: Langmuir 19 (2003) 1532.
- A. D. Mehta, M. Rief, J. A. Spudich, D. A. Smith, and R. M. Simmons: Science 283 (1999) 1689[Science].
- M. Reicherter, T. Haist, E. U. Wagemann, and H. J. Tiziani: Opt. Lett. 24 (1999) 608.
- J. Liesener, M. Reicherter, T. Haist, and H. J. Tiziani:
Opt. Commun. 185 (2000) 77[CrossRef].
- J. E. Curtis, B. A. Koss, and D. G. Grier: Opt. Commum. 207 (2002) 169.
- S. Tseng, S. Chi, and L. Hsu:
Proc. SPIE 5514 (2004) 687[AIP Scitation].
- Y. Roichman and D. G. Grier: Opt. Lett. 31 (2006) 1675.
- Y. Roichman, I. Cholis, and D. G. Grier: Opt. Express 14 (2006) 10907.
- A. Ashkin:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 24 (1970) 156[APS].
- A. Ashkin: Biophys. J. 61 (1992) 569.
- K. S. Yee: IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 14 (1966) 302.