Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 48 (2009) 07GB07 (3 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (114K)| |Buy This Article|
Locality of Area Coverage on Digital Acoustic Communication in Air using Differential Phase Shift Keying
Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Ookayama, Meguro, Tokyo 152-8552, Japan
1Graduate School of Systems and Information Engineering, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8573, Japan
(Received November 20, 2008; accepted April 30, 2009; published online July 21, 2009)
We experimentally evaluate the locality of digital acoustic communication in air. Digital acoustic communication in air is suitable for a small cell system, because acoustic waves have a short propagation distance in air. In this study, optimal cell size is experimentally evaluated. Each base station (BS) transmits different commands. In our experiment, differential phase shift keying (DPSK), especially binary DPSK (DBPSK), is adopted as a modulation and demodulation scheme. The evaluated system consists of a personal computer (PC), a digital-to-analog converter (DAC), an analog-to-digital converter (ADC), a loud speaker (SP), a microphone (MIC), and transceiver software. All experiments are performed in an anechoic room. The cell size of the transmitter can be limited under low signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) condition. If another transmitter works, cell size is limited by the effect of the interference from that transmitter. The cell size-to-distance ratio of transmitter A to transmitter B is 37.5%, if cell edge bit-error-rate (BER) is taken as 10-3.
- D. P. Konstantakos, C. C. Tsimenidis, A. E. Adams, and B. S. Sharif: IEE Proc.–Commun. 152 (2005) 1031.
- T. Kikuchi, H. Saito, T. Tsuchiya, and Y. Hiyoshi:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 44 (2005) 4708[JSAP].
- S. Lee, K. C. Park, J. R. Yoon, and P. H. Lee:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 46 (2007) 4971[JSAP].
- H. Ochi and T. Fukuchi:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 46 (2007) 4961[JSAP].
- T. Shimura, H. Ochi, and Y. Watanabe:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 46 (2007) 4956[JSAP].
- H. R. Beom and H. S. Cho: Robotica 13 (1995) 243.
- L. Kleeman: Robotica 13 (1995) 87.
- H. Inubushi, N. Takahashi, H. Zhu, and K. Taniguchi: Denshi Joho Tsushin Gakkai Ronbunshi A 90 (2007) 517 [in Japanese].
- M. Matsuura, T. Hattori, and Y. Sato: Proc. Soc. Conf. IEICE, 2006, p. 157.
- K. Mizutani, N. Wakatsuki, and K. Mizutani:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 46 (2007) 4541[JSAP].
- S. Wadaka, T. Nagatsuka, K. Misu, S. Urasaki, and M. Koike:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 29 (1990) 212[JSAP].
- T. Kitasuka, T. Nakanishi, and A. Fukuda: Proc. DICOMO, 2004, p. 349.