Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 48 (2009) 120211 (3 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (174K)| |Buy This Article|
Optical Fiber Sensor Based on Air-Gap Long-Period Fiber Gratings
Department of Avionics Engineering, Air Force Academy, Kangshan, Kaohsiung 820, Taiwan, R.O.C.
1Ph. D. Program in Electrical and Communications Engineering, Feng-Chia University, Taichung 407, Taiwan, R.O.C.
2Department of Electrical Engineering of Feng-Chia University, Taichung 407, Taiwan, R.O.C.
(Received August 6, 2009; accepted September 17, 2009; published online December 7, 2009)
In this work, we propose a novel fiber sensor that is based on an air-gap long-period fiber grating (AG-LPG), which is fabricated by combining fiber side polishing with fiber lithography. Its sensing mechanism is based on the loss-peak wavelength shift of the AG-LPG as the refractive index around the sensing head varies. Experimental results show that the maximum sensitivity is 620 nm/unit index (1.1 nm/%) in the sensing of various sugar solution concentrations. This novel sensing head provides a simple, reliable, repeatable, accurate, and nondestructive approach for detecting various chemical solutions and mixing gases and for biomedical applications.
- A. D. Kersey, M. A. Davis, H. J. Patrick, M. LeBlanc, K. P. Koo, C. G. Askins, M. A. Putnam, and E. J. Friebele: J. Lightwave Technol. 15 (1997) 1442.
- V. Bhatia and A. M. Vengsarkar: Opt. Lett. 21 (1996) 692.
- B.-O. Guan, H.-Y. Tam, X.-M. Tao, and X.-Y. Dong:
IEEE Photonics Technol. Lett. 12 (2000) 675[CrossRef].
- S. W. James and R. P. Tatam: Meas. Sci. Technol. 14 (2003) 49.
- H. J. Patrick, A. D. Kersey, and F. Bucholtz: J. Lightwave Technol. 16 (1998) 1606.
- X. W. Shu, L. Zhang, and I. Bennion: J. Lightwave Technol. 20 (2002) 255.
- R. Falciai, A. G. Mignani, and A. Vannini: Sens. Actuators B 74 (2001) 74.
- Y. Zhu, Z. He, and H. Du: Sens. Actuators B 131 (2008) 265.
- H. Tsuda and K. Urabe: Sensor 9 (2009) 4559.
- J. M. Corres, I. del Villar, I. R. Matias, and F. J. Arregui: IEEE Trans. Nanotechnol. 7 (2008) 394.
- K. S. Chiang, Y. Q. Liu, M. N. Ng, and X. Y. Dong:
Electron. Lett. 36 (2000) 966[AIP Scitation].
- I. M. Ishaq, A. Quintela, S. W. James, G. J. Ashwell, J. M. Lopez-Higuera, and R. P. Tatam: Sens. Actuators B 107 (2005) 738.
- J. Yang, P. Sandhu, W. Liang, C. Xu, and Y. Li: IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron. 13 (2007) 1691.
- X. Chen, K. Zhou, L. Zhang, and I. Bennion:
IEEE Photonics Technol. Lett. 16 (2004) 1352[CrossRef].