Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 49 (2010) 014201 (7 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1145K)| |Buy This Article|
Design, Fabrication, and Actuation of Micro-Electro-Mechanical System-Based Image Stabilizer
1Department of Electrical and Control Engineering, National Chiao Tung University, Hsinchu 300, Taiwan, R.O.C.
2School of Medicine, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan, R.O.C.
(Received July 2, 2009; accepted September 20, 2009; published online January 20, 2010)
In this investigation, we present a two dimensional high aspect ratio XY stage, designed as an image stabilizer. This stabilizer is 8×8×0.75 mm3, and sufficiently strong to support a suspended image sensor for anti-shaking photographic function. This stabilizer is fabricated by the silicon-on-glass (SOG) process including inductively coupled plasma reactive ion etching (ICP-RIE) processes, in which the anchor layer, pre-etching layer and structure layers are identified without an additional release step as is required in traditional silicon-on-insulator (SOI) wafer etching process. When an actuator is fabricated, flip-chip bonding is adopted to attach a 3 megapixel image sensor to this device. The longest calculated traveling distance of the stabilizer is 25 µm and special stoppers are designed to prevent the actuator from moving out of range, and sticking to the side by pull-in phenomenon. Accordingly, the applied voltage at the 25 µm moving distance is 84 V. Furthermore, the dynamic resonant frequency of the actuating device with an image sensor is 1.013 kHz.
- D. H. Yeom, N. J. Park, and S. Y. Jung: Int. Conf. Control, Automation and Systems, 2007, p. 2201.
- K. Sato, S. Ishizuka, A. Nikami, and M. Sato: IEEE Trans. Consum. Electron. 39 (1993) 461.
- Y. Okamoto and R. Yoshida: Electron. Commun. Jpn., Part III 81 (1998) No. 11, 11.
- G.-R. Chen, Y.-M. Yeh, S.-J. Wang, and H.-C. Chiang: Proc. 2000 IEEE Asia–Pacific Conf. Circuits and Systems, 2000, p. 101.
- A. Mohamed, H. Elsimar, and M. Ismail: Proc. Symp. Design, Test, Integration and Packaging of MEMS/MOEMS, 2003, p. 214.
- D. O. Popa, H. K. Byoung, J. T. Wen, H. E. Stephanou, G. Skidmore, and A. Geisberger: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics and Automation, 2003, p. 1470.
- A. Tuantranont and V. M. Bright: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Industrial Technology, 2002, p. 941.
- G. R. Chen, Y. M. Yeh, S. J. Wang, and H. C. Chiang: Proc. IEEE Asia–Pacific Conf. Circuits and Systems, 2000, p. 101.
- C. H. Ji, Y. K. Kim, and B. K. Choi: Proc. IEEE/LEOS Optical MEMS, 2000, p. 97.
- J. Y. Park, Y. J. Yee, H. J. Nam, and J. U. Bu: Proc. IEEE Microwave Symp. Dig., 2001, p. 2111.
- Y. Haddab, N. Chaillet, and A. Bourjault: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Intelligent Robots and Systems (IEEE/RSJ IROS), 2000, p. 659.
- E. S. Hung and S. D. Senturia: J. Microelectromech. Syst. 8 (1999) 497.
- X. H. Mu, M. Kahrizi, and L. Landsberger: Proc. IEEE Canadian Conf. Electrical and Computer Engineering (IEEE CCECE), 2003, p. 133.
- J. C. Chiou and Y. J. Lin: J. Micromech. Microeng. 15 (2005) 1641.
- W. C. Tang, T.-C. H. Nguyen, and R. T. Howe: Proc. IEEE Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, 1989, p. 53.
- S. E. Alper and T. Akin: J. Microelectromech. Syst. 14 (2005) 707.
- Q. Shi, S. Wang, A. Qiu, Y. Xu, and X. Ji: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Nano/Micro Engineered and Molecular Systems, 2006, p. 18.
- D. Sachs, S. Nasiri, and D. Goehl: Image Stabilization Technology Overview [http://www.invensense.com/shared/pdf/ImageStabilizationWhitepaper_051606.pdf].
- R. Abdolvand and F. Ayazi: Sens. Actuators A 144 (2008) 109.