Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 49 (2010) 04DK16 (4 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (467K)| |Buy This Article|
Fabrication of Electrophoretic Display Driven by Membrane Switch Array
1Sumitomo Precision Product Co., Ltd., Microelectronics Technology Division, 1-10 Fuyocho, Amagasaki, Hyogo 660-0891, Japan
2Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, Department of Organic and Polymer Materials Chemistry, 2-24-16 Nakacho, Koganei, Tokyo 184-8588, Japan
(Received October 7, 2009; accepted January 2, 2010; published online April 20, 2010)
Electrophoretic devices (EPDs) and organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs) have potential application in a large-area flexible displays, such as digital signage. For this purpose, a new backplane is capable of driving a large unit is required instead of thin-film transistors. In this paper we describe the fabrication of a membrane switch array suitable for driving large-scale flat-panel displays. An array of membrane switches was prepared using flexible printed circuit (FPC) technology of polyimide films, by combining low-temperature processes of lamination and copper electroplating methods. An array of 256 matrix switches with a pixel size of 7 mm2 was prepared to drive the EPD front panel. The switches were driven at a voltage of about 40 V and a frequency of 10 Hz. The operation characteristics agreed well with the result of the theoretical calculation. The calculation also suggested that driving voltage can be lowered by increasing pixel size. The contact resistance of the membrane switch was as low as 0.2 Ω, which implies the wide applicability of this device for driving a variety of elements.
- H. Maeda, M. Matsuoka, M. Nagae, H. Honda, and H. Kobayashi: SID Int. Symp. Dig. Tech. Pap. 38 (2007) 1749.
- T. Afentakis, M. K. Hatalis, A. T. Voutsas, and J. W. Hartzell:
Proc. SPIE 5004 (2003) 187[AIP Scitation].
- J. A. Nichols, T. N. Jackson, M. H. Lu, and M. Hack: Proc. 62nd IEEE Device Research Conf. Dig., 2004, p. 59.
- J. B. Yoon, J. O. Lee, H. H. Yang, and W. W. Jang: SID Int. Symp. Dig. Tech. Pap. 39 (2008) 13.
- A. Maaninen, H. Kopola, H. Fujita, and H. Toshiyoshi: Proc. 16th Int. Display Workshop, 2008, p. 1353.
- S. Lewis, G. Fike, R. Barton, M. Halfman, and R. Payne: Proc. 16th Int. Display Workshop, 2008, p. 89.
- N. F. Pasch and K. Senda: presented at U.S. Display Consortium, 2005.
- N. Hagood, L. Steyn, J. Fijol, J. Gandhi, T. Brosnihan, S. Lewis, G. Fike, R. Barton, M. Halfman, and R. Payne: Int. Display Workshop, 2008, p. 1345.
- W. B. Jackson, M. Almanza-Workman, A. Chaiken, R. A. Garcia, A. Jeans, O. Kwon, H. Luo, P. Mei, C. Perlov, C. Taussig, S. Braymen, F. Jeffrey, and J. Hauschildt: SID Int. Symp. Dig. Tech. Pap. 39 (2008) 322.
- G. M. Rebeiz: RF-MEMS (Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2003) p. 21.