Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 49 (2010) 050204 (3 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (211K)| |Buy This Article|
Piezoelectric Wind-Energy-Harvesting Device with Reed and Resonant Cavity
Department of Precision Machinery and Precision Instrumentation, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, Anhui 230026, China
(Received October 9, 2009; accepted February 12, 2010; published online May 6, 2010)
A wind-energy-harvesting device utilizing the principle of a harmonica was created. A reed in a resonant cavity vibrated efficiently with the blowing wind, and a piezoelectric element stuck on the reed generated electricity. The dimensions of the wind inlet were approximately 30×20 mm2. The device was investigated with a wind speed ranging from 2.8 to 10 m/s. An output power of 0.5–4.5 mW was obtained with a matching load of 0.46 MΩ. The energy conversion efficiency of the device could reach up to 2.4%.
- H. W. Kim, A. Batra, and S. Priya:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 43 (2004) 6178[JSAP].
- L. C. Rome, L. Flynn, E. M. Goldman, and T. D. Yoo: Science. 309 (2005) 1725[Science].
- G. K. Ottman, H. F. Hofmann, A. C. Bhatt, and G. A. Lesieutre: Trans. Power Electron. 17 (2002) 669.
- S. Priya, C. T. Chen, D. Fye, and J. Zahnd:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 44 (2005) 104[JSAP].
- R. Myers, M. Vickers, H. Kim, and S. Priya:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 90 (2007) 054106[AIP Scitation].
- M. A. Weimer, T. S. Paing, and R. A. Zane: PESC Rec. IEEE Annu. Power Electronics Specialists Conf., 2006, 1712213.
- M. A. Kamoji, S. B. Kedare, and S. V. Prabhu: Renewable Energy 34 (2009) 521.
- Y. K. Tan and S. K. Panda: IECON Proc. 2007, p. 2175.
- Q. Zhu and Z. Peng:
Phys. Fluids 21 (2009) 033601[AIP Scitation].
- Z. Y. Shen, W. Y. Shih, and W. H. Shih:
Rev. Sci. Instrum. 77 (2006) 065101[AIP Scitation].
- R. J. Wood, E. Steltz, and R. S. Fearing: Sens. Aactuators A 119 (2005) 476.
- D. Noreland, S. Bellizzi, and C. Vergez: J. Sound Vib. 324 (2009) 983.
- Y. M. Chang: J. Fluids Struct. 8 (1994) 771.