Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 49 (2010) 062503 (5 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (184K)| |Buy This Article|
Special Laser Wavelength Generation Using a Volume Bragg Grating as Nd:GdVO4 Laser Mirror
Department of Optics and Photonics, National Central University, Chungli 32001, Taiwan
1Institute of Photonics Technologies, National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu 30013, Taiwan
2Department of Physics, National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu 30013 Taiwan
(Received February 1, 2010; accepted March 24, 2010; published online June 21, 2010)
A 1071 nm laser using Nd:GdVO4 as the gain medium is demonstrated. A volume Bragg grating (VBG) with a reflection central wavelength at 1069.8 nm was used. The laser was operated in CW mode. The output wavelength range could exceed 1.3 nm by tuning the VBG temperature. Single longitudinal mode operation was achieved with an output power larger than 100 mW using a simple linear cavity setup. A brief discussion about the VBG thermal effect is also presented.
- P. Conti, P. Bucksbaum, S. Chu, E. Commines, and L. Hunter:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 42 (1979) 343[APS].
- B. C. Regan, E. D. Commins, C. J. Schmidt, and D. DeMille:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 88 (2002) 071805[APS].
- A. I. Zagumennyi, V. G. Ostroumov, I. A. Shcherbakov, T. Jensen, J. P. Meyen, and G. Huber: Kvantovaya Elektron. 19 (1992) 1149.
- Y. Sato and T. Taira: IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron. 11 (2005) 613–620.
- J. A. Koningstein and J. E. Geusic:
Phys. Rev. 136 (1964) A711[APS].
- Y. F. Chen, M. L. Ku, and K. W. Su: Opt. Lett. 30 (2005) 2107.
- L. B. Glebov and V. I. Smirnov: SPIE Laser-Induced Damage in Optical Materials, 2004.
- B. Jacobsson, V. Pasiskevicius, and F. Laurell: Opt. Express 14 (2006) 9284.
- T. Y. Chung, A. Rapaport, V. Smirnov, L. B. Glebov, M. C. Richardson, and M. Bass: Opt. Lett. 31 (2006) 229.
- O. M. Efimov, L. B. Glebov, L. N. Glebova, K. C. Richardson, and V. I. Smirnov: Appl. Opt. 38 (1999) 619.
- O. M. Efimov, L. B. Glebov, L. N. Glebova, and V. I. Smirnov: US Patent 6,586,141 B1 (2003).
- T. Y. Chung, A. Rapaport, V. Smirnov, M. Hemer, L. B. Glebov, M. C. Richardson, and M. Bass: presented at CLEO/QELS, 2006, CFB5.
- W. Koechner: Solid-State Laser Engineering (Springer, Berlin, 1999) Springer Series in Optical Sciences, 5th ed., Vol. 1, p. 746.
- T. Y. Chung, S. S. Yang, C. W. Chen, H. C. Yang, C. R. Liao, Y. H. Lien, and J. T. Shy: presented at CLEO/QELS, 2007, CThE4.
- T. Y. Chung, S. Boonruang, and T. Waritanant: presented at OSA Annu. Meet./FiO/LS, LWI3, 2008.
- T. Waritanant and T. Y. Chung: presented at CLEO/QELS, 2009, CTuFF6.
- P. Jelger, P. Wang, J. K. Sahu, F. Laurell, and W. A. Clarkson: Opt. Express 16 (2008) 9507–9512.
- T. Waritanant and T. Y. Chung: in preparation for publication.