Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 49 (2010) 07HB13 (2 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (150K)| |Buy This Article|
Destructive Inspection of Weld Defect and its Nondestructive Evaluation by Photoacoustic Microscopy
Department of Mechanical Engineering and Intelligent Systems, Tohoku Gakuin University, Tagajyo, Miyagi 985-8537, Japan
1Department of Electronic Engineering, Tohoku Gakuin University, Tagajyo, Miyagi 985-8537, Japan
(Received November 21, 2009; accepted February 19, 2010; published online July 20, 2010)
In this study, the nondestructive evaluation (NDE) of an internal defect introduced in the welded region of an aluminum plate has been demonstrated by photoacoustic microscopy (PAM). The internal defect is a blowhole and an incomplete fusion, which were formed in the weld metal during welding. Experiments were carried out at different modulation frequencies. Furthermore, a stereoscopic image of the fractured specimen was obtained by destructive inspection using scanning laser microscopy (SLM) and compared with a photoacoustic (PA) amplitude image. The size of the internal weld defect measured by both methods was approximately the same.
- R. L. Thomas, J. J. Pouch, Y. H. Wong, L. D. Favro, P. K. Kuo, and A. Rosencwaig:
J. Appl. Phys. 51 (1980) 1152[AIP Scitation].
- H. Endoh, N. Ohtaki, and T. Hoshimiya:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 45 (2006) 4609[JSAP].
- T. Nakata, T. Kitamori, and T. Sawada: Appl. Opt. 46 (2007) 1019.
- P. V. McLaughlin, Jr., M. G. Mirchandani, and P. V. Ciekurs: J. Eng. Mater. Technol. 109 (1987) 146.
- Y.-L. Wang, F.-Z. Shen, and S.-T. Tu: Eng. Fract. Mech. 47 (1994) 39.
- M. Hatake-yama, T. Takatsu, H. Endoh, and T. Hoshimiya:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 47 (2008) 3994[JSAP].
- D. Shiraishi, H. Endoh, and T. Hoshimiya:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 48 (2009) 07GE03[JSAP].
- T. Hoshimiya and K. Miyamoto:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 39 (2000) 3172[JSAP].
- H. Endoh, K. Miyamoto, Y. Hiwatashi, and T. Hoshimiya:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 41 (2002) 3361[JSAP].