Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 50 (2011) 010104 (4 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF: FREE (253K)|
Selected Topics in Applied Physics
Technology Evolution for Silicon Nano-Electronics
Counter-Electrode-Free Thin Cu Film Deposition Based on Ballistic Electron Injection into CuSO4 Solution from Nanosilicon Emitter
Graduate School of Engineering, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, 2-24-16 Nakacho, Koganei, Tokyo 184-8588, Japan
(Received July 30, 2010; accepted October 11, 2010; published online January 20, 2011)
It is shown that a nanocrystalline silicon (nc-Si) ballistic electron emitter acts as an active electrode in a metal–salt solution (such as CuSO4 solution). The nc-Si emitter is composed of a thin Au film (10 nm thick), anodized polycrystalline layer (1 µm thick), and single-crystalline n+-Si substrate. In accordance with the results of an analysis by cyclic-voltammogram measurements under the standard three-electrode configuration, the electron injection effect into the solution is clearly observed at a potential within the electrochemical window where no electrolytic reactions appear. When the nc-Si emitter is driven alone in a CuSO4 solution without using any counter electrodes, a polycrystalline thin Cu film is uniformly formed on the emitting surface. This is presumably due to the preferential reduction of Cu2+ ions at the interface by injected energetic electrons. The observed deposition mode is different from both the conventional electroplating and electroless plating. This technique is an alternative low-temperature wet process that will be applicable to the deposition of various thin metal films.
PACS: 81.15.Jj, 68.35.bd, 82.45.Yz, 68.55.at
- N. Koshida, X. Sheng, and T. Komoda:
Appl. Surf. Sci. 146 (1999) 371[CrossRef].
- S. Uno, N. Mori, K. Nakazato, N. Koshida, and H. Mizuta:
Phys. Rev. B 72 (2005) 035337[APS].
- D. Sakai, C. Oshima, T. Ohta, and N. Koshida:
J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 26 (2008) 1782[AIP Scitation].
- N. Mori, H. Minari, S. Uno, H. Mizuta, and N. Koshida:
J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 193 (2009) 012008[IoP STACKS].
- A. Kojima, H. Ohyi, and N. Koshida:
J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 26 (2008) 2064[AIP Scitation].
- T. Ichihara, T. Hatai, and N. Koshida:
J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 27 (2009) 772[AIP Scitation].
- T. Ohta, A. Kojima, H. Hirakawa, T. Iwamatsu, and N. Koshida:
J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 23 (2005) 2336[AIP Scitation].
- N. Koshida, T. Ohta, and B. Gelloz:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 90 (2007) 163505[AIP Scitation].
- T. Ohta, B. Gelloz, and N. Koshida:
J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 26 (2008) 716[AIP Scitation].
- T. Ohta, B. Gelloz, and N. Koshida: Electrochem. Solid-State Lett. 13 (2010) D73.
- N. Kanani: Electroplating and Electroless Plating of Copper and Its Alloys (Finishing Publishing and Metal Finishing Information Services, Warrington, U.K., 2003).