Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 50 (2011) 06GE09 (4 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (532K)| |Buy This Article|
Thermal Dissipation of High-Brightness Light Emitting Diode by Using Multiwalled Carbon Nanotube/SiC Composites
Department of Electrical Engineering, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan 701, Taiwan, R.O.C.
1Department of Electrical Engineering, National Chiayi University, Chiayi 600, Taiwan, R.O.C.
(Received December 1, 2010; revised February 14, 2011; accepted February 16, 2011; published online June 20, 2011)
To improve the thermal conductance of epoxy used in the high-brightness light emitting diode (HB-LED) package, varied types of fillers were investigated. These fillers included non-functionalized multiwalled carbon nanotubes (MWCNTs), functionalized MWCNTs, micro-SiC particles and the composite of functionalized MWCNTs and micro-SiC particles. Forward voltages at test conditions, junction temperatures, luminous fluxes and operation current–forward voltage (I–V) relation of HB-LEDs were measured or determined for varied combination and contents of fillers in the epoxy. The experimental results showed the epoxy with the composite of 30 wt % of SiC and 5 wt % of MWCNTs had the best thermal properties. Comparing to commercial epoxy, under the operation of injection current of 350 mA, the MWCNT/SiC/epoxy could decrease junction temperature from 123 to 93 °C and thermal resistance from 81 to 65 °C/W.
PACS: 85.60.Jb, 81.07.De, 66.70.Lm, 85.60.Bt, 81.05.Lg, 81.05.Hd
- Y. K. Cheng and K. W. E. Cheng: ICPESA, 2006, p. 173.
- J. Park, M. Shin, and C. C. Lee: Opt. Lett. 29 (2004) 2656.
- R. Steele:
Proc. SPIE 4445 (2001) 1[AIP Scitation].
- T. Zhou, X. Wang, X. Liu, and D. Xiong: Carbon 48 (2010) 1171.
- P. Kim, L. Shi, A. Majumdar, and P. L. McEuen:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 87 (2001) 215502[APS].
- R. Sivakumar, S. Guo, T. Nishimura, and Y. Kagawa: Scr. Mater. 56 (2007) 265.
- A. Allaoui, S. Bai, H. M. Cheng, and J. B. Bai: Compos. Sci. Technol. 62 (2002) 1993.
- F. Gojny, M. Wichmann, B. Fiedler, I. Kinloch, W. Bauhofer, A. Windle, and K. Schulte: Polymer 47 (2006) 2036.
- Y. Xi and E. Schubert:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 85 (2004) 2163[AIP Scitation].
- L. Jayasinghe, Y. Gu, and N. Narendran:
Proc. SPIE 6337 (2006) 63370V[AIP Scitation].
- A. Hirsch and O. Vostrowsky: in Topics in Current Chemistry, ed. A. D. Schlüter (Springer, Heidelberg, 2005) Vol. 245, p. 193.