Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 50 (2011) 06GG09 (4 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (595K)| |Buy This Article|
Morphological and Electrical Properties of Self-Textured Aluminum-Doped Zinc Oxide Films Prepared by Direct Current Magnetron Sputtering for Application to Amorphous Silicon Solar Cells
1National Center for Nanoprocess and Equipments, Korea Institute of Industrial Technology, Gwangju 500-480, Korea
2Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Chonnam National University, Gwangju 500-757, Korea
(Received November 26, 2010; accepted January 29, 2011; published online June 20, 2011)
Self-textured Al-doped zinc oxide (AZO) transparent conducting oxide (TCO) layers were grown by DC magnetron sputtering, and their morphological and electrical properties were investigated. The self-textured AZO layers were fabricated by controlling the deposition conditions, without employing wet or dry etching for surface texturing. The polycrystalline AZO layers with a high surface roughness (42 nm) were grown on a glass substrate at various DC plasma power. The lowest sheet resistance was 3.7×10-4 Ω cm and the highest carrier mobility obtained was 30 cm2 V-1 s-1, which are comparable to those of chemically textured AZO layers. The electrical and optical characteristics of the self-textured AZO films are comparable to those of wet-etched AZO films that were etched using the conventional HCl solution. Our study suggests a possible way to inexpensively fabricate amorphous silicon thin-film solar cells.
PACS: 81.15.Cd, 81.05.Dz, 88.40.jj, 73.61.Ga
- N. Yamamoto, H. Makino, T. Yamada, Y. Hirashima, H. Iwaoka, and T. Ito: J. Electrochem. Soc. 157 (2010) J13.
- K. S. Ahn, S. J. Yoo, M. S. Kang, J. W. Lee, and Y. E. Sung: J. Power Sources 168 (2007) 533.
- S. Calnan, J. Hupkes, B. Rech, H. Siekmann, and A. N. Tiwari:
Thin Solid Films 516 (2008) 1242[CrossRef].
- J. Krc, M. Zeman, O. Kluth, F. Smole, and M. Topic:
Thin Solid Films 426 (2003) 296[CrossRef].
- S. Fay, L. Feitknecht, R. Schluchter, U. Kroll, E. Vallat-Sauvain, and A. Shah: Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells 90 (2006) 2960.
- J. Meier, U. Kroll, S. Dubail, S. Golay, S. Fay, J. Dubail, and A. Shah: Conf. Rec. 28th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conf., 2000, p. 746.
- J. C. Lee, V. Dutta, J. Yoo, J. Yi, J. Song, and K. H. Yoon: Superlattices Microstruct. 42 (2007) 369.
- J. Loffler, R. Groenen, J. L. Linden, M. C. M. van de Sanden, and R. E. I. Schropp:
Thin Solid Films 392 (2001) 315[CrossRef].
- R. Cebulla, R. Wendt, and K. Ellmer:
J. Appl. Phys. 83 (1998) 1087[AIP Scitation].
- J. Mass, P. Bhattacharya, and R. S. Katiyar: Mater. Sci. Eng. B 103 (2003) 9.
- J. G. Lu, Z. Z. Ye, Y. J. Zeng, L. P. Zhu, L. Wang, and J. Yuan:
J. Appl. Phys. 100 (2006) 073714[AIP Scitation].
- C. Guillen and J. Herrero: Phys. Status Solidi A 206 (2009) 1531.
- T. Minami, T. Kuboi, T. Miyata, and Y. Ohtani: Phys. Status Solidi A 205 (2008) 255.
- T. Minami:
Semicond. Sci. Technol. 20 (2005) S35[IoP STACKS].
- T. Miyata, Y. Ohtani, T. Kuboi, and T. Minami:
Thin Solid Films 516 (2008) 1354[CrossRef].
- T. Minami, T. Miyata, Y. Ohtani, and T. Kuboi: Phys. Status Solidi: Rapid Res. Lett. 1 (2007) R31.