Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 50 (2011) 072501 (4 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (607K)| |Buy This Article|
Analysis of Polarization-Fluctuation Induced Bias Error in Resonator Fiber Optic Gyro with Twin 90° Polarization-Axis Rotated Splices
Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Systems, The University of Tokyo, Bunkyo, Tokyo 113-8656, Japan
(Received October 22, 2010; accepted April 14, 2011; published online July 20, 2011)
We numerically analyze the polarization-fluctuation induced bias error in a resonator fiber optic gyro (R-FOG) with twin 90° polarization-axis rotated splices in the polarization maintaining fiber (PMF) resonator, especially when polarization dependent loss (PDL) exists inside the resonator. Simulation results indicate that the twin 90° polarization-axis rotated splicing method can effectively suppress the polarization-fluctuation induced bias error in an R-FOG, when the length difference of the fiber segments between the two splicing points is set around a half of the beat-length of the PMF. It is also shown that such an R-FOG is still tolerant to PDL if the polarization crosstalk in the resonator is low, although PDL degrades the performance of the R-FOG.
PACS: 42.81.Gs, 42.81.Pa
- D. M. Shupe: Appl. Opt. 19 (1980) 654.
- K. Hotate and Y. Kikuchi:
Proc. SPIE 4204 (2000) 81[AIP Scitation].
- K. Hotate: in Optical Fiber Sensors: Applications, Analysis, and Future Trends, ed. J. Dakin and B. Culshaw (Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1997) Vol. 4, Chap. 11, p. 167.
- G. A. Sanders, L. K. Strandjord, and T. Qiu: 18th Int. Conf. Optical Fiber Sensors Tech. Dig., 2006, paper ME6.
- K. Iwatsuki, K. Hotate, and M. Higashiguchi: Appl. Opt. 25 (1986) 2606.
- G. A. Sanders, R. B. Smith, and G. F. Rouse:
Proc. SPIE 1169 (1989) 373[AIP Scitation].
- K. Takiguchi and K. Hotate: J. Lightwave Technol. 10 (1992) 514.
- L. K. Strandjord and G. A. Sanders:
Proc. SPIE 1585 (1991) 163[AIP Scitation].
- K. Hotate and H. Nissaka: IEICE Tech. Rep. Microwave 101 (2001) 13 [in Japanese].
- X. Wang, Z. He, and K. Hotate: Opt. Express 18 (2010) 1677.
- X. Wang, Z. He, and K. Hotate:
Proc. SPIE 7653 (2010) 76533H[AIP Scitation].
- X. Wang, Z. He, and K. Hotate: Proc. Conf. Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO), 2010, paper CFH6.
- Z. Ioannidis, R. Kadiwar, and I. Giles: J. Lightwave Technol. 14 (1996) 377.
- K. Hotate and M. Harumoto: J. Lightwave Technol. 15 (1997) 466.
- K. Hotate and G. Hayashi:
Proc. SPIE 3746 (1999) 104[AIP Scitation].
- T. Arikawa, F. Suzuki, Y. Kikuchi, O. Fukuda, and K. Inada: Proc. 5th Int. Conf. Optical Fiber Sensors (OFS 5), 1988, paper FEE4.
- Y. Ouchi, M. Fukasawa, D. Tanaka, and K. Nishide: Fujikura Tech. Rep. 102 (2002) [in Japanese].