Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 50 (2011) 080001 (13 pages) |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF: FREE (2008K)|
Cutting-Edge Technology of Bismuth-Based High-Temperature Superconducting Wires for Application in Energy- and Environment-Related Fields
Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd., 1-1-3 Shimaya, Konohana-ku, Osaka 554-0024, Japan
(Received January 13, 2011; accepted May 10, 2011; published online August 22, 2011)
The first bismuth-based superconductor was discovered by Dr. Maeda of National Research Institute for Metals (currently, National Institute for Materials Science) in 1988. Since then, Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd., has been attempting to improve the fabrication method of superconducting wires and to develop products applying bismuth-based superconductors. As a result, the length of wires that can be fabricated has steadily increased as well as the wire performance, and these achievements have led to the practical use of prototype products and demonstration projects worldwide. Bismuth-based superconducting wires were established as an industrial material along with the development of an over pressure sintering method. In addition to this industrial accomplishment, these wires are now ready for practical use in application fields such as power cables and large-scale motors for ships. Superconductivity is an ultimate energy-saving technology, and its practical utilization is expected to contribute to the reduction of CO2 emission and the prevention of global warming.
- M. K. Wu, J. P. Ashburn, C. J. Torng, P. H. Hor, D. L. Meng, L. Gao, Z. J. Huang, Y. Q. Wang, and C. W. Chu:
Phys. Rev. Lett. 58 (1987) 908[APS].
- H. Maeda, Y. Tanaka, M. Fukutomi, and T. Asano:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 27 (1988) L209[JSAP].
- M. Takano, J. Takada, K. Oda, H. Kitaguchi, Y. Miura, Y. Ikeda, Y. Tomii, and H. Mazaki:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 27 (1988) L1041[JSAP].
- T. Hikata, T. Nishikawa, H. Mukai, K. Sato, and H. Hitotsuyanagi:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 28 (1989) L1204[JSAP].
- M. Ueyama, T. Hikata, T. Kato, and K. Sato:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 30 (1991) L1384[JSAP].
- T. Kato, S. Kobayashi, K. Yamazaki, K. Ohkura, M. Ueyama, N. Ayai, J. Fujikami, E. Ueno, M. Kikuchi, K. Hayashi, and K. Sato: Physica C 412 (2004) 1066.
- S. Kobayashi, K. Yamazaki, T. Kato, K. Ohkura, E. Ueno, K. Fujino, J. Fujikami, N. Ayai, M. Kikuchi, K. Hayashi, K. Sato, and R. Hata: Physica C 426 (2005) 1132.
- N. Ayai, M. Kikuchi, K. Yamazaki, S. Kobayashi, S. Yamade, E. Ueno, J. Fujikami, T. Kato, K. Hayashi, K. Sato, R. Hata, J. Iihara, K. Yamaguchi, and J. Shimoyama:
IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond. 17 (2007) 3075[CrossRef].
- M. Inoue, T. Kiss, T. Nakamura, T. Fujiwara, S. Awaji, K. Watanabe, A. Ibi, S. Miyata, Y. Yamada, and Y. Shiohara:
IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond. 17 (2007) 3207[CrossRef].
- Y. Honda, K. Higashikawa, M. Inoue, T. Kiss, N. Ayai, M. Kikuchi, K. Hayashi, and K. Sato:
Physica C 470 (2010) 1377[CrossRef].
- T. Kato, K. Ohkura, M. Ueyama, K. Ohmatsu, K. Hayashi, and K. Sato: Proc. of 15th Int. Conf. on Magnet Technology (Science Press, Beijing, 1998) p. 793.
- K. Ohkura, T. Okazaki, and K. Sato: SEI Tech. Rev. 171 (2007) 50 [in Japanese].
- S. Honjo, M. Shimodate, Y. Takahashi, T. Masuda, H. Yumura, C. Suzawa, S. Isojima, and H. Suzuki:
IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond. 13 (2003) 1952[CrossRef].
- T. Masuda, T. Kato, M. Hirose, and K. Sato: Denki Gakkai Ronbunshi B 126 (2006) 827 [in Japanese].
- H. Yumura, T. Masuda, M. Watanabe, H. Takigawa, Y. Ashibe, H. Ito, M. Hirose, K. Yatasuka, K. Sato, and R. Hata: SEI Tech. Rev. 64 (2007) 27.
- T. Masuda, H. Yumura, M. Watanabe, H. Takigawa, Y. Ashibe, C. Suzawa, H. Ito, M. Hirose, K. Sato, S. Isojima, C. Weber, R. Lee, and J. Moscovic:
IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond. 17 (2007) 1648[CrossRef].
- G. Morita, T. Konishi, H. Kamijo, and T. Ito: Conf. Institute of Electrical Engineers of Japan, 2008, 5-073 [in Japanese].
- M. Ooshiba, T. Yamanaka, M. Nogi, Y. Nagata, and R. Takagi: Conf. Institute of Electrical Engineers of Japan, 2008, 5-056 [in Japanese].
- K. Fujino, T. Hayashi, T. Sanami, K. Hisada, K. Ohmatsu, and T. Okazaki: SEI Tech. Rev. 171 (2007) 27 [in Japanese].
- H. Oyama, T. Shinzato, K. Hayashi, K. Kitajima, T. Ariyoshi, and T. Sawai: SEI Tech. Rev. 173 (2008) 59 [in Japanese].