Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 51 (2012) 040211 (3 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (512K)| |Buy This Article|
A Compact 2 Degree-of-Freedom Energy Harvester with Cut-Out Cantilever Beam
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, 50 Nanyang Avenue, Singapore 639798
(Received November 21, 2011; accepted February 26, 2012; published online March 29, 2012)
In this work, a novel 2 degree-of-freedom (DOF) vibration energy harvester is proposed. The harvester comprises one main cantilever beam and one secondary cantilever beam cut out within the main beam. By varying the proof masses, the first two resonances can be tuned close to each other, while maintaining significant magnitudes, thus providing a useful wide bandwidth for energy harvesting. Unlike previous 2-DOF harvesters, the proposed harvester is compact and utilizes the beam more efficiently by generating energy from both the main and secondary cantilevers. Therefore, the proposed harvester is more adaptive and functional in practical random or frequency-variant vibrational circumstances.
- L. Tang, Y. Yang, and C. K. Soh: J. Intell. Mater. Syst. Struct. 21 (2010) 1867.
- S. Shahruz: J. Sound Vib. 292 (2006) 987.
- M. Ferrari, V. Ferrari, M. Guizzetti, D. Marioli, and A. Taroni: Sens. Actuators A 142 (2008) 329.
- Y. Tadesse, S. Zhang, and S. Priya: J. Intell. Mater. Syst. Struct. 20 (2009) 625.
- Q. Ou, X. Chen, S. Gutschmidt, A. Wood, and N. Leigh: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Automation Science and Engineering, 2010, p. 301.
- M. Arafa, W. Akl, A. Aladwani, O. Aldrarihem, and A. Baz:
Proc. SPIE 7977 (2011) 79770Q[AIP Scitation].
- A. Erturk, J. M. Renno, and D. J. Inman: J. Intell. Mater. Syst. Struct. 20 (2009) 529.
- I. H. Kim, H. J. Jung, B. M. Lee, and S. J. Jang:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 98 (2011) 214102[AIP Scitation].
- S. Roundy and Y. Zhang:
Proc. SPIE 5649 (2005) 373[AIP Scitation].
- E. S. Leland and P. K. Wright: Smart Mater. Struct. 15 (2006) 1413.
- A. Erturk, J. Hoffman, and D. J. Inman:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 94 (2009) 254102[AIP Scitation].
- A. F. Arrieta, P. Hagedorn, A. Erturk, and D. J. Inman:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 97 (2010) 104102[AIP Scitation].