Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 51 (2012) 04DG12 (6 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (1412K)| |Buy This Article|
Basic Study of Coupling on Three-Dimensional Crossing of Si Photonic Wire Waveguide for Optical Interconnection on Inter or Inner Chip
1National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8568, Japan
2Institute for Photonics–Electronics Convergence System Technology (PECST), Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8568, Japan
(Received September 26, 2011; revised November 30, 2011; accepted January 6, 2012; published online April 20, 2012)
For speeding up of transmission and energy saving on inter or inner chips of semiconductors, hydrogenated amorphous silicon (a-Si:H), unlike conventional crystal Si (c-Si), promises optical multilevel wiring on a Si IC. For three-dimensional (3D) crossing of Si/a-Si:H photonic wire waveguides, the loss and crosstalk as S-parameters of the two propagation modes are evaluated by numerical analysis at the C-band when the waveguide core is 200 ×400 nm2. Whether the crosstalk can be suppressed to -50 dB or less is to be a criterion. Even at the crossing angle of 30°, when the distance between the waveguides of the crossing is 1 µm or less, the crosstalk is suppressed sufficiently, while the radiation loss is also small if a TE-like mode propagates. These quantitative results are derived for the first time and show that the photonic 3D crossing can rival the present electric multilevel wiring from the viewpoint of device height. An important index for the 3D waveguide crossing fabrication is obtained.
- K. Wada and L. C. Kimerling: Oyo Buturi 76 (2007) 141 [in Japanese].
- K. Ueno: Denki Gakkaishi 128 (2008) 157 [in Japanese].
- Y. Shoji, T. Ogasawara, T. Kamei, Y. Sakakibara, S. Suda, K. Kintaka, H. Kawashima, M. Okano, T. Hasama, H. Ishikawa, and M. Mori: Opt. Express 18 (2010) 5668.
- K. Furuya, Y. Sakakibara, K. Nakanishi, R. Takei, E. Itoga, M. Suzuki, M. Okano, T. Kamei, and M. Mori: 8th Int. Conf. Group IV Photonics (GFP 2011), P1.18, 2011, p. 109.
- Y. Sakakibara, T. Kamei, E. Itoga, M. Okano, K. Kintaka, Y. Shoji, and M. Mori: IEICE Tech. Rep., OCS2009-66, OPE2009-132, LQE2009-91 (2009-10) [in Japanese].
- K. Furuya, Y. Sakakibara, and M. Mori: 15th Optoelectronics and Communications Conf. (OECC2010) Tech. Dig., 8P-71, 2010, p. 708.
- K. Furuya, Y. Sakakibara, and M. Mori: Ext. Abstr. (71st Autumn Meet., 2010); Japan Society of Applied Physics, 17p-G-1 [in Japanese].
- T. Fukazawa, T. Hirano, F. Ohno, and T. Baba:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 43 (1998) 646[JSAP].
- D. Tanaka, Y. Shoji, K. Kintaka, H. Kawashima, Y. Ikuma, and H. Tsuda: The 15th Optoelectronics and Communications Conf. (OECC2010) Tech. Dig., 9E2-3, 2010, p. 870.
- Handbook of Optical Constants of Solids, ed. E. D. Palik (Academic Press, San Diego, CA, 1985) p. 547.
- K. Yamada, T. Shoji, T. Tsuchizawa, T. Watanabe, J. Tkahashi, and S. Itabashi: Opt. Lett. 28 (2003) 1663.
- T. Iwasaki: Maikuroha, Hikari-kairo Keisoku no Kiso (Base of Microwave/Optical Circuit Measurements), (Corona, Tokyo, 1993) p. 44 [in Japanese].
- T. Yabu: Hikari-Doharo Kaiseki Nyumon (Photonic Waveguides Analysis Introduction), (Morikita, Tokyo, 2007) p. 80 [in Japanese].
- A. Iwata and I. Hayashi: IEICE Trans. Electron. E76-C (1993) 90.
- K. Naito, S. Otsuka, and T. Hosoda: Zasshi Fujitsu 55 (2004) 199 [in Japanese].