Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 51 (2012) 04DK08 (4 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF (460K)| |Buy This Article|
Structural and Molecular Changes of C60 Thin Films with Incorporated Magnesium Atoms
Toyota Technological Institute, Nagoya 468-8511, Japan
(Received September 27, 2011; accepted December 16, 2011; published online April 20, 2012)
Crystalline changes determined from the diffraction patterns of X-rays in C60 films were observed when magnesium atoms were incorporated into C60 films grown on mica substrates. The low full width at half maximum (FWHM) value for Mg-doped C60 on the mica substrate indicates the high crystalline quality at low magnesium concentrations. Infrared modes that were initially inactive became active owing to the interaction of magnesium atoms with the C60 molecule cage. The presence of the lines of triangular cyclic trimers suggests the presence of partially decomposed rhombohedral and rhombohedral polymers. Intermolecular bonds formed owing to the formation of polymeric phases in the film are responsible for the crystalline quality deterioration.
- J. Kido and T. Matsumoto:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 73 (1998) 2866[AIP Scitation].
- M. Pfeiffer, S. R. Forrest, K. Leo, and M. E. Thompson:
Adv. Mater. 14 (2002) 1633[CrossRef].
- C. J. Brabec, N. S. Sariciftci, and J. C. Hummelen: Adv. Funct. Mater. 11 (2001) 15.
- P. Peumans, A. Yakimov, and S. R. Forrest:
J. Appl. Phys. 93 (2003) 3693[AIP Scitation].
- R. C. Haddon, A. F. Hebard, M. J. Rosseinsky, D. W. Murphy, S. J. Duclos, K. B. Lyons, B. Miller, J. M. Rosamilia, R. M. Fleming, A. R. Kortan, S. H. Glarum, A. V. Makhija, A. J. Muller, R. H. Eick, S. M. Zahurak, R. Tycko, G. Dabbagh, and F. A. Thiel:
Nature 350 (1991) 320[CrossRef].
- M. Chikamatsu, S. Kazaoui, N. Minami, K. Yase, T. Kodama, H. Nishikawa, I. Ikemoto, and K. Kikuchi: Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 377 (2002) 353.
- Y. Chen, F. Stepniak, and J. H. Weaver:
Phys. Rev. B 45 (1992) 8845[APS].
- R. P. Gupta and M. Gupta:
Physica C 219 (1994) 21[CrossRef].
- T. Wagberg, P. Stenmark, and B. Sundqvist:
J. Phys. Chem. Solids 65 (2004) 317[CrossRef].
- M. C. Martin, X. Du, J. Kwon, and L. Mihaly:
Phys. Rev. B 50 (1994) 173[APS].
- S. Heguri and M. Kobayashi:
Solid State Commun. 150 (2010) 1489[CrossRef].
- Y. Iwasa, T. Arima, R. M. Fleming, T. Siegrist, O. Zhou, R. C. Haddon, L. J. Rothberg, K. B. Lyons, H. L. Carter, Jr., A. F. Hebard, R. Tycko, G. Dabbagh, J. J. Krajewski, G. A. Thomas, and T. Yagi: Science 264 (1994) 1570[Science].