Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 51 (2012) 06FK07 (4 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF: FREE (690K)|
Measurement of Nonlinear Mechanical Properties of Surfactant-Added Poly(dimethylsiloxane)
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Inje University, Gimhae, Gyungnam 621-749, Republic of Korea
(Received December 1, 2011; accepted January 31, 2012; published online June 20, 2012)
This paper presents a measurement of the nonlinear mechanical property of the surfactant-added poly(dimethylsiloxane) (PDMS) elastomer. The tension test samples with the different concentrations of the surfactant were prepared using a simple mixing, coating, curing, and cutting process. A 10 times cyclic tension test with a fixed magnitude of applied strain and a single-pull-to-failure tension test were sequentially performed with a micro-tensile tester at room temperature. Compared with the pure PDMS, the surfactant-added PDMS was more flexible and its yield strain also greatly increased. From the measured stress–strain relationship, the stress softening and the residual strain was observed in the first cyclic tension tests. Such a hysteresis was highly related with the concentration of the surfactant in preparing PDMS film. As the concentration of the surfactant increased, the hysteresis increased remarkably. From second cyclic tension test, a hysteresis dramatically reduced and the strain–stress curves were almost converged in 10 times cyclic test. Three nonlinear mechanical models like a Neo–Hookean, Mooney–Rivlin, and Ogden were computed from the experimentally measured stress–strain data. The Ogden model for the surfactant-added PDMS showed a good agreement with the experimental data. In the case of the Neo–Hookean and Mooney–Rivlin models, they could be preferable for the structural analysis of the micro device with the surfactant-added PDMS in the small strain region. This could provide the useful and reasonable nonlinear mechanical models of the surfactant-added PDMS for rapid computational prototyping from the hydrophilic PDMS.
- X. Tang, J. Dong, and X. Li: J. Colloid Interface Sci. 325 (2008) 223.
- J. C. McDonald and G. M. Whitesides: Acc. Chem. Res. 35 (2002) 491.
- J. Seo and L. P. Lee: Sens. Actuators B 119 (2006) 192.
- W. S. Yang, Y. G. Nam, B. K. Lee, K. S. Han, T. H. Kwon, and D. S. Kim:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 49 (2010) 06GM01[JSAP].
- H. T. Kim, J. K. Kim, and O. C. Jeong:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 50 (2011) 06GL04[JSAP].
- Y. T. Chen and D. Lee: J. Micromech. Microeng. 17 (2007) 1978.
- S. Bhattacharya, A. Datta, J. M. Berg, and S. Gangopadhyay: J. Microelectromech. Syst. 14 (2005) 590.
- K. Efimenko, W. E. Wallace, and J. Genzer: J. Colloid Interface Sci. 254 (2002) 306.
- B. Schnyder, T. Lippert, R. Kotz, A. Wokaun, V. M. Graubner, and O. Nuyken:
Surf. Sci. 532–535 (2003) 1067[CrossRef].
- J. Kim, M. K. Chaudhury, and M. J. Owen: J. Colloid Interface Sci. 226 (2000) 231.
- H. Makamba, J. H. Kim, K. S. Lim, N. K. Park, and J. H. Hahn: Electrophoresis 24 (2003) 3607.
- D. T. Eddington, J. P. Puccinelli, and D. J. Beebe: Sens. Actuators B 114 (2006) 170.
- M. A. Unger, H. P. Chou, T. Thorsen, A. Scherer, and S. R. Quake: Science 288 (2000) 113[Science].
- F. Schneider, T. Fellner, J. Wilde, and U. Wallrabe: J. Micromech. Microeng. 18 (2008) 065008.
- M. Liu, J. Sun, Y. Sun, C. Bock, and Q. Chen: J. Micromech. Microeng. 19 (2009) 035028.
- M. Liu, J. Sun, and Q. Chen: Sens. Actuators A 151 (2009) 42.
- T. K. Kim, J. K. Kim, and O. C. Jeong: Microelectron Eng. 88 (2011) 1982.
- A. Dorfmann and R. W. Ogden: Int. J. Solids Struct. 41 (2004) 1855.
- User manual Marc 2007 R1. Chap. 7, Vol. A [www.mscsoftware.com].
- M. D. Volder and D. Reynaerts: J. Micromech. Microeng. 20 (2010) 043001.
- G. A. A. Rodriguez, C. Rossi, and K. Zhang: Sens. Actuators A 141 (2008) 489.
- H. L. Yin, Y. C. Huang, W. Fang, and J. Hsieh: Sens. Actuators A 139 (2007) 194.
- P. J. Hung, K. Jeong, G. L. Liu, and L. P. Lee:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 85 (2004) 6051[AIP Scitation].
- O. C. Jeong and S. Konishi: Sens. Actuators A 135 (2007) 849.
- O. C. Jeong and S. Konishi: J. Micromech. Microeng. 18 (2008) 085017.
- B. Gorissen, M. D. Volder, A. D. Greef, and D. Reynaerts: Sens. Actuators A 168 (2011) 58.
- O. C. Jeong and S. Konishi: J. Microelectromech. Syst. 15 (2006) 896.
- A. Werber and H. Zappe:
J. Opt. A 8 (2006) S313[IoP STACKS].
- A. Werber and H. Zappe: J. Micromech. Microeng. 16 (2006) 2524.
- K. H. Jeong, G. Liu, N. Chronis, and L. Lee: Opt. Express 12 (2004) 2494.