Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 51 (2012) 07GB05 (2 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF: FREE (373K)|
Imaging of Acoustic Waves in Piezoelectric Ceramics by Coulomb Coupling
Department of Solid State Physics, University of Siegen, ENC, D-57072 Siegen, Germany
1Department of Civil Engineering, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, U.S.A.
2Institute of Experimental Physics II, University of Leipzig, Linnéstr. 5, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany
(Received November 19, 2011; accepted January 30, 2012; published online July 20, 2012)
The transport properties of bulk and guided acoustic waves travelling in a lead zirconate titanate (PZT) disc, originally manufactured to serve as ultrasonic transducer, have been monitored by scanned Coulomb coupling. The images are recorded by excitation and detection of ultrasound with local electric field probes via piezoelectric coupling. A narrow pulse has been used for excitation. Broadband coupling is achieved since neither mechanical nor electrical resonances are involved. The velocities of the traveling acoustic waves determined from the images are compared with characteristic velocities calculated from material properties listed by the manufacturer of the PZT plate.
- G. H. Haertling:
J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 82 (1999) 797[CrossRef].
- F. S. Foster, L. K. Ryan, and D. H. Turnbull: IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control 38 (1991) 446.
- T. Fujii, S. Watanabe, M. Suzuki, and T. Fujiu:
J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 13 (1995) 1119[AIP Scitation].
- T. Maeder, P. Muralt, L. Sagalowicz, I. Reaney, M. Kohli, A. Kholkin, and N. Setter:
Appl. Phys. Lett. 68 (1996) 776[AIP Scitation].
- A. Habib, E. Twerdowski, M. von Buttlar, R. Wannemacher, and W. Grill:
Proc. SPIE 6532 (2007) 653214[AIP Scitation].
- E. H. Jacobsen:
J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 32 (1960) 949[AIP Scitation].
- A. Shelke, A. Habib, U. Amjad, M. Pluta, T. Kundu, U. Pietsch, and W. Grill:
Proc. SPIE 7984 (2011) 798415[AIP Scitation].
- E. Twerdowski, M. von Buttlar, N. Razek, R. Wannemacher, A. Schindler, and W. Grill: Ultrasonics 44 (2006) 1301.