Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 51 (2012) 07GD14 (5 pages) |Previous Article| |Next Article| |Table of Contents|
|Full Text PDF: FREE (641K)|
Removal of Arsenic from Sulfuric Acid Solutions Using Jarosite and Sonication
Graduate School of Engineering and Resource Science, Akita University, Akita 010-8502, Japan
(Received November 18, 2011; accepted February 27, 2012; published online July 20, 2012)
We investigated the effect of ultrasound irradiation at 200 kHz on As(III) and As(V) removal using jarosite. When the solution containing As(V) was irradiated in air, Ar, or O2 atmospheres, As(V) removal rate increased with irradiation time as compared with treatment by stirring. Likewise, when the solution containing As(III) was sonicated in Ar or O2 atmospheres, the As removal rate increased with irradiation time because As(III) was oxidized to As(V) by the sonication and As(V) was removed from the solution by the adsorption onto jarosite. However, in air, the removal rate increased only slightly with irradiation time. This is partly because As(III) removal was interfered by the adsorption of HNO3, which was generated during sonication, onto jarosite. Therefore, As(V) removal by the simultaneous application of jarosite and ultrasound irradiation can be performed in air, Ar and O2 atmospheres, while As(III) removal can be performed efficiently in either Ar or O2 atmosphere.
- T. Terai and T. Iwasaki: Hakkokogaku Zasshi 49 (1971) 53 [in Japanese].
- G. C. Badulis, C. Tokoro, and H. Sasaki: Shigen-to-Sozai 122 (2006) 406 [in Japanese].
- R. Hosokawa, T. Saito, and H. Okawa:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 50 (2011) 07HE11[JSAP].
- J. E. Dutrizac: Metall. Mater. Trans. B 14 (1983) 531.
- Y. Tomioka, N. Hiroyoshi, Y. Kubo, and M. Tsunekawa: Shigen-to-Sozai 121 (2005) 597 [in Japanese].
- M. P. Asta, J. Cama, M. Martínez, and J. Giménez: J. Hazardous Mater. 171 (2009) 965.
- S. Sorlini and F. Gialdini: Water Res. 44 (2010) 5653.
- H. Nakazawa and W. Hareyama: Resour. Process. 54 (2007) 182.
- B. Neppolian, A. Doronila, F. Grieser, and M. Ashokkumar: Environ. Sci. Technol. 43 (2009) 6793.
- M. Cui, M. Jang, S. Lee, B. Kweon, S. Yun, and J. Khim:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 50 (2011) 07HE08[JSAP].
- M. Cui, S. Lee, M. Jang, B. Kweon, H. Jo, and J. Khim:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 50 (2011) 07HE13[JSAP].
- S. Koda, T. Kimura, T. Kondo, and H. Mitome: Ultrason. Sonochem. 10 (2003) 149.
- JIS K0102 (2008) p. 176 [in Japanese].
- S. Koda, K. Endo, Y. Kojima, and H. Nomura: Kagaku Kogaku Ronbunshu 25 (1999) 290 [in Japanese].
- T. Nakamura, H. Okawa, R. Hosokawa, T. Saito, Y. Kawamura, and K. Sugawara:
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 49 (2010) 07HE11[JSAP].